Saturday, October 20, 2012

Cottagin again .......
We sold our cottage in June, and it was a miserable summer. Robert was severely depressed. I wanted a getaway ..... maybe rent a cottage for a month - but was blown away by how much it cost. So I had an idea.
What if we bought some land? On a hilltop, closer to our friends. Build a tiny "summer" house we can close up for the winter to save money? No lake frontage would mean lower taxes. A place with just one or two bedrooms, all on one floor.
Well, we bought the land, a gorgeous wooded hilltop lot with a view over Lake Harrington. Just under an acre, with the front of the lot touching on the Lake Association's beach. Perfect for when I abduct my grandson for a weekend ..... & his dog.
But we face  unexpected limitations on what we can build; no less than 915 sq ft footprint, must be winterized, must have an eco-flo septic system, no barnwood exterior, has to have a real foundation, etc. So of course, it's going to cost a lot more than I had originally planned, even if Robert will be building it with a buddy of his.
Robert went from being depressed to being worried about going over budget. Who knew wells were so expensive to drill? That septic systems & driveways were so costly? 
I, on the other hand, have had to mourn the loss of a dream house in order to accept one that will easier on the budget. At least we'll have a screened-in porch. And lots of windows with a view.  And a wood stove.
Although I said we would close up in November, I am now thinking ... maybe we can come up on Christmas Day? Maybe we can close up for January, February & March? Save on heating & pass on the hair-rising driving conditions ..... 
I sometimes think this is crazy, as I need to save more money for retirement. But we are miserable without a cottage. And our friends are in Harrington. So here we go again.
In a few months I will smell like "eau de" bugspray, again. And I won't be knitting for awhile.


No comments:

Post a Comment