Saturday, October 22, 2011

Mixed bag ...


This month, on Oct-16th, Robert & I celebrated out 1st wedding anniversary - we married after 25 years together. Also a year ago, our beloved Shaded Silver Persian, Shadow, passed away - we still miss him every day.
A few weeks ago, we learned that Robert had prostate cancer. He lost his job 18 months ago & he was feeling pretty low already, but his bad luck continues. He will be trying a new treatment, HIFU, on Nov-24th. Until then, I feel we are in suspended animation.
And so I knit, as nothing calms me more than knitting a simple project. The shawl I am working on is a deep green & a vibrant ochre - which remind me of the fall colours that I see at our lakehouse. The deep green of the evergreens, the brilliant gold of the leaves, both are reflected in the stitches of this shawl.
And I knit, & knit. Or I will become frozen with anxiety. It's meditative, much like praying with rosary beads, which I haven't done since a was a child. I left religion a long time ago. I wish it could provide me with the comfort I need, but it never did. So where do I find comfort? I knit.....

No comments:

Post a Comment